What is a Bioneer?
Bioneers is a national movement that had its beginnings nearly 22 years ago. Founder Kenny Ausubel coined the term Bioneers in 1990 to describe an emerging culture:
Bioneers are social and scientific innovators from all walks of life and disciplines who have peered deep into the heart of living systems to understand how nature operates, and to mimic “nature’s operating instructions” to serve human ends without harming the web of life.
Nature’s principles—kinship, cooperation, diversity, symbiosis and cycles of continuous creation absent of waste—can also serve as metaphoric guideposts for organizing an equitable, compassionate and democratic society.
As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, the San Rafael “headwaters” of the movement provides a forum and social hub for education about solutions presented through an annual conference.
Like the Biological Pioneers of the Larger Movement …
… a member of Great Lakes Bioneers Chicago knows that solutions should be based on the wisdom and proven design of natural, living systems, rather than ones that are simply engineered technological fixes, which continue our current patterns of resource consumption and exploitation, often at the expense of one or more of our vital parts.
A Chicago Bioneer:
- Takes a holistic, and multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving, by “connecting the dots” among life-giving systems that make up Chicago.
- Educates by popularizing breakthrough ideas and practices, while advocating for opportunities to heal and restore our city to its fullest potential.
- Links individuals and networks in order to foster connection, cross-pollination, and collaboration of people and ideas, all focused on positive change.
- Honors and invigorates the ideas and energy of youth by engaging them in key areas of planning and programming.
- Grows social capital by innervating and strengthening strategic networks, including bioregional and community-based alliances.
Bioneer Joanna Macy
In this inspiring clip from Bioneers 2009 Joanna Macy talks about uncertainty as a gift that plays in sparking our passion, creativity and focus for The Great Turning.